High-pErformance moduLar battery packs for sustaInable urban electrOmobility Services
HELIOS aims at developing and integrating innovative materials, designs, technologies and processes to create a new concept of smart, modular and scalable battery pack for a wide range of electric vehicles used in urban electromobility services, from mid-size electric vehicles to electric buses, with improved performance, energy density, safety, lifetime and LCoS (Levelized Cost of Storage). Novel developments that integrate hardware and software solutions for the smart control of electrical and thermal management systems that exploit advanced materials, power electronics, sensors and cutting-edge ICT, such as cloud-based Big Data Analysis, Artificial Intelligence and Internet of Things technologies running in the cloud are investigated and implemented within HELIOS.
These combined approaches enable:
- Increase energy and power density.
- Enhance key characteristics like ultra-high-power charging.
- Improve safety.
- Improve E fleet control and health management strategies to extend lifetime.
- Create optimised EV charge and discharge procedures and predictive maintenance schedules.
- Monitor SOC (State of Charge), SOH (State of Health) and carbon footprint for each battery pack throughout its entire life cycle.
- Improve battery pack design and performance with reduced LCoS, based on a circular economy approach where the modular battery packs can be re-used in a range of 2nd life applications prior to EoL recycling.
- Assessment of HELIOS solution effectiveness in different urban electromobility models as car-fleets and e-bus fleets.
H2020-LC-BAT-2020 / LC-BAT-10-2020 – Next generation and realisation of battery packs for BEV and PHEV